Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Dancing With the Stars 8: Week 5 Results Show with Etta James and Demi Lovato

Hey y'all! Tonight's Dancing With the Stars 8 results show featured musical numbers by Etta James, Demi Lovato and Le Reve in addition to an encore performance, a Dance-Off and another couple leaving. Who would it be? Steve-O/Lacey had the lowest judges scores, but what would the voters say?

Right off the bat the show began with the encore performance. I really wanted to see Gilles/Cheryl again, but since they danced last week I knew it wouldn't be them. In fact since I spied Lil Kim posing behind Tom, I correctly guessed that she and Derek would be repeating their Viennese Waltz from last night. The dance was as beautiful as last night.

As they recapped last night's show, they showed that part of Melissa's foot problem was that she put her foot through the bottom of her dress. Watching in slow motion, I'm amazed that she managed to stay on her feet, not to mention finish the dance. Props to her for that. But then I'm a klutz and I'd have been flat on my face ... or my butt.

Tom and Samantha announced the first two couples that were safe. Shawn/Mark and Lil Kim/Derek will be back to dance for us next week. Off on another tangent here, I was reading that Cat Deeley was standing by to sub for Ryan Secrest last week in case he was too sick to go on. The Idol stage is right across the street from the DWTS stage ... I wish she would have subbed for Samantha last week. I love Cat, she's awesome.

Anyway, the first guest was Etta James singing her classic "At Last". Maks and Karina did an absolutely beautiful dance to that song. Once again I had to ask why we had to watch Ms. James sitting and singing instead of watching the entire dance and listening to the singer.

Then in a backstage interview, Steve-O revealed that his dad said that if he went to the Dance-Off and his judges score stayed the same, he would need a 12% edge in audience voting to beat the next lowest couple. Foreshadowing perhaps? Well ... no. Tom and Samantha then told Gilles/Cheryl and Steve-O/Lacey that they were safe. Guess he got more than his 12% edge. Then Chuck/Julianne and Melissa/Tony were told that they'd be back next week.

Next up was the Macy's Stars of Dance Performance. Okay, I was very curious to see this. Le Reve is usually done in a large pool of water, or water theatre. In fact, I read that all of the performers, in addition to being dancers and acrobats, had to be scuba certified. How would they pull this one off? Well, they did their performance without the water. Don't get me wrong, it was a very cool performance of dance and acrobatics, but it was a bit of a let down for me because I wanted to see them in the water. Y'all should check out some of the YouTubes available.

Demi Lovato, some Disney girl, sang this song called "La La Land". I didn't care for the song, but I did enjoy getting to see Benji Schwimmer dance again. His partner, Tori Smith, was okay, but Lacey or their cousin Heidi would have been better. Oh, and their costumes were ugly, too.

Ty/Chelsie were put out of their misery and that left David/Kym and LT/Edyta in the bottom two. To be honest, I didn't enjoy either of their dances enough last night to want to see them again, but alas ...

First up were David/Kym with their Viennese Waltz. This was the one that looked more like a torch dance than a romantic Viennese Waltz. I loved watching Kym, she's a glorious dancer, but I didn't see much improvement. The judges did, though, especially Carrie Ann. Last night, she said that there was a disconnect, but tonight she said that their dance felt connected and showed more passion. Their score from last night was 22, tonight they got three 8's for 24.

Lt/Edyta repeated their Paso Doble. LT should have talked to Warren Sapp or something, because as much as I love my football guys in this competition, he's not doing it for me. Warren's Paso Doble was very cool, this one left me cold. In fact, I thought that they did better last night. All three of the judges mentioned that the music they had was very difficult and commended them for being able to follow it. Len said that they made a real improvement from last night. The scores didn't reflect that, though. Last night they got a 20 and tonight they got two 7's and a 6 (from Carrie Ann) for another 20.

After yet another commercial break, Tom told David/Kym that they were the couple leaving. Wow, he must really not have a fan base. What did y'all think? Did the right couple go home? Comment below and I'll catch y'all next week.

No comments: