Monday, March 1, 2010

DWTS 10: Cast Revealed

Wow, I haven't blogged in a good long while. Time for me to do something about that. I've been watching Survivor and The Amazing Race, but with the DWTS cast being announced tonight, I knew that I couldn't remain silent any longer.

I love this show, but a few of the contestants for this upcoming season have me either shaking my head or gritting my teeth. I know that it's all about ratings for ABC, but I'm afraid that my viewing pleasure will be greatly diminished.

Kate Gosslin? Come on, she is so overexposed already. Yes, she has that bandwagon of worshippers that think she can do no wrong and they'll probably dial til their fingers fall off. That's all that matters to ABC. Too bad they can't cash in on the Anti-Kate movement by having us vote OFF our least favorites. That's a fairly large group, as well. I never watched her show, but the discussion on a few of the message boards that I haunt have me feeling nauseous when I venture into those threads. At first they were amusing, but the way her fans demonized her ex-husband and gave her wings and a halo turned me off. Her supporters are loyal and vocal and I'm afraid that they'll keep her around.

Another controversial 'celebrity' cast is Shannen Doherty. In her day, she was about as polarizing as Kate. You either loved her or hated her. I guess it's only fitting that since they cast 'Kelly' from 90210 a couple of seasons ago (Jenny Garth), it was 'Brenda's' turn.

Pamela Anderson? Don't understand this one at all. Is pole dancing a new genre? I can't imagine her doing too much more than bumping and grinding.

Speaking of bumping and grinding, there's Nicole Scherzinger. You know her, she's the only Pussycat Doll that could actually sing. I guess she's got the sexy siren role. I'm thinking that she might have some dance experience other than what she's shown with PCD.

Erin Andrews is another enigma. Another of the ABC family, she's an ESPN reporter. What she's most famous for is her peeping Tom suit. Some freak secretly taped her (no, not a sex tape) in a hotel room through a peephole and posted it on the internet. She filed charges, won the case. She was on the basketball dance team while in college, so she should at least have some rhythm. Will she be able to capitalize on the goodwill from her case and the ESPN viewer votes? Or will she be like Kenny Mayne?

The last female is Niecy Nash. She has the potential to be entertaining. I think she's hilarious at times, and she can be rather raunchy. Depending on her partner, her practice videos and confessionals could be a blast. Or not. I'm not sure if she can dance or not, but I hope she can.

As far as the guys go, they are also a mixed bag. Jake Pavelka? Another show that I refused to watch, but read about. He wasn't exactly a fan favorite. I guess ABC has to back it's own horse and he was just their cash cow on The Bachelor. It'll be interesting to see how that works out for them. Going by the popularity of Melissa, I guess they're banking on the same for him.

Chad Ochocinco fills the football player role. I like him, he makes me laugh. His tweets tend to be very entertaining. He has his detractors that call him a showboat (yeah), but I think he will be fun to watch. He's a perfectionist, but I think he can laugh at himself. His touchdown dances show that he has some moves, so he should last awhile ... I hope.

Buzz Aldrin is 80 years old, so he has the geezer role. He's an American institution, so I really hope he acquits himself well. Rumor has it that Kym Johnson will not be on this season, so I don't know who they will pair him with, perhaps Edyta.

Evan Lysacek is our newest Olympic gold medalist on the show. He's got moves as he showed on the ice the past couple of weeks, and he should have the popularity now to last a while. I just hope he washes that crap out of his hair. The greased back look isn't very appealing.

And last but maybe not least is Aiden Turner. I have no clue who this guy is. He was on 'All My Children', another ABC show, so he follows Susan Lucci and Cameron Mathison on the dance floor. I suppose that he'll bring in that built in fan base.

Who'll go first and who'll go until the end? Who will take home the Mirrored Ball Dancing With the Stars trophy? Hard to tell right now, I know who I'd like to leave first, but that's neither here nor there, lol. Hopefully we'll find out the pairings soon. Melissa was with Tom Bergeron tonight when he announced the contestants. Does this mean she won the job to replace Samantha Harris? That's another question that will be answered soon. What will this season bring? We'll see.

No comments: