Saturday, July 4, 2009

Tex's Take on the Big Brother 11 Men

Hey y'all, welcome back! It's about that time again. I'm ready to give my first thoughts on the Big Brother 11 Men. They seem to be a diverse group, but not as interesting as the women. I've already posted my one word descriptions, as well as those of HamsterDame, Chelsia and MissyZ and after reading and watching more about the houseguests, a couple of my impressions have changed a little.


Diane Henry's interviews were very good and I'm sad that her interviews with Casey, Jeff or Kevin haven't been posted yet. Anyway, her posted interviews were at least 10 minutes long for each houseguest, so I was able to get quite a bit of information. I also watched InsideDish interviews and I was disappointed. Maybe at some point, he'll release the rest, but what was on his show was more about Ross than about the houseguests.


While we have what seems to be the requisite bar recruits, I was pleased to see that many of the houseguests are actually fans of the show and actually applied, whether it was online, at open casting calls or by answering ads on Craigslist. I was very pleasantly surprised by the number of hamsters that classify themselves as big fans or even as Big Brother nerds. With very few actor wannabes, I am getting excited for the game to start. There should be some interesting strategizing, especially as many of them say that their plan is to strategize on the fly and to be very flexible.


Let's talk about the males:


Jeff Schroeder - My one word for him was 'meh'. He didn't stand out to me at all ... a big whatevah. He played football in college and he says that that is his proudest accomplishment, okay Mr. Jock. He comes across as very sweet, though, in interviews, almost too sweet. He admits to wearing his heart on his sleeve and would be open to a showmance. He says that he plans on being true to himself. I think I want to change that word from 'meh' to 'sucker'. Some of the less scrupulous players will play him like a fiddle.


Braden Bacha - I used 'pfft', a couple of others used 'douche'. I haven't changed my mind. Other than finding out that he was nude in an episode of what reality blurred called a 'supernatural gay soap opera' what else did we learn about him? Well, he plans on 'rockin' the show' for exposure for his acting career. He says that he can cry on cue and plans on using his acting skills in the house. Arrogance, ignorance and two-facedness piss him off and says that he'll work to get rid of negative energy in the house. Yes, I rolled my eyes quite a few times while reading and watching. Okay, maybe I'll change my word to 'douche', too.


Ronnie Talbott - 'Know-it-all'. I think Ronnie might get far in this game. He looks like such the sweet little nerd, but he's got that competitive drive thing going. He was a champion debater and many hard core gamers are very, very competitive. He's also a huge big brother fan. He's studied the game and can name in order all of the evictees from all the prior seasons starting from 2. He says that he can compartmentalize like Dr. Will, but tends to be more emotional. That could actually work for him. If he can play mild mannered cub reporter, I think he can fool everyone and be a monster at the end.


Russell Kairouz - 'Macho'. Hmm, I may have to steal Chelsia's word and call him a 'meathead'. I really wanted to like him because he's a MMA fighter, and I love MMA, but I don't know. He actually says they call him 'Russell the Love Muscle'. Good grief. I think I will just stop there. I hope he doesn't think the Big Brother house is 'The Ultimate Fighter' house. Cuz that's usually a house full of meatheads, a giant frat house. He does come off as charismatic, though, and that might work for him, strategically.


Kevin Campbell - 'Fabu'. He's the token flamboyant gay guy, I guess. He describes himself as 'ghetto fabulous'. He says that he was in the closet so long that he has the tools to deceive anyone. His strategy is going to be to highlight and magnify others' flaws. I see him as Marcellus x2, and that's not necessarily a compliment. Will we see Marcellus/Amy version 2 with him and Jordan? I can see that happening, actually.


Casey Turner - 'Ugh'. I don't know. Diane didn't have her interview with him posted and with Ross he did this stupid rap. He's the oldest guy in the house, but his night job is that of a DJ, so he may have something in common with the others. He confesses to being worried that the camera will focus on him picking his nose, which is a big turn off. I do NOT want to see that montage, hence the ugh. All of the interviewers seem to like him and say that he's a nice guy, though, so I guess we'll just have to see.


So there you have it, Tex's Take on the Big Brother 11 Houseguests. Take it with a grain of salt. I'm invariable wrong on these things. Remember that at the beginning of last season I couldn't stand Dan or Memphis. What do you think? Vote and comment below.


No comments: